Department of Health Victoria
The Department of Health is committed to achieving the best health and wellbeing for all Victorians. It is one of eleven state government departments in Victoria and covers the responsibilities of the Ministers for Health, Mental Health and Senior Victorians. The department has approximately 1,600 staff across five divisions and eight regions.
Its portfolios include
- Health care services through the public hospital system, community health services, ambulance services and dental services
- Public health, health promotion and protection
- Public mental health services
- Alcohol and drug prevention and treatment services
- Residential and rehabilitation care for older people, along with support and assistance to enable them to remain independently in their own homes
The Department of Health sets policy and supports the delivery of services through Victoria's eight geographical regions. The Department of Health is instrumental in providing de-identified data to the Peninsula Model for the purposes of population health planning. The Southern Metropolitan Region also provides support to the Peninsula Model and is represented on PMEG and some Alliances.